This is the current position:
- Ground or Air Source Heat Pump that is the question. >>
Answer = Neither We’re now planning for a ‘simpler’ system with solar and multi fuel burner input. More on this soon.
- Heating. Go with under-floor heating on the ground floor with radiators on first floor ~ drawbacks, problems, source of hot water for radiators (potentially from back-boiler on multi-fuel room heater)?
Answer = UFH with radiators on first floor. Decision made on grounds of cost and the unsettling prospect of all that scree suspended on the first floor!
- Internal doors (find some that we like).
Still working on that one.
- Openings through internal walls. Have we allowed for one to few? – yes but we will replan the bathroom / bedroom entrances.
Answer = One opening. I’m pretty pleased with the one opening as it has allowed us to plan in a dressing area and thus create a main bedroom ‘suite’. More on this soon.
- Paint. Compare eco alternatives to branded products.
We love clay paint. Eco / Green ‘gloss’ paint review coming soon.
- Rain-water harvesting. Readdress the quote I’ve already had and evaluate cost and fit to the current plan.
I’m going to save this one for phase 2.
- Flooring and tiling ~ select!
We still need to decide on the main floor tiling for the ground floor, but I’ve already bought some slate mosiacs for the en-suite. We’ll use slate flooring in both bathrooms. The wall tiling in the main bathroom will be white, probably with wood panelling. More on this soon.
- Guttering and down-pipes excluded from bill of quantities, estimate and add them back in.
This is one for later…
- En-suite bathroom~ what shall we do with the 1 metre dressing area.
Sorted! See ‘Openings…’ above.
- Bathroom suites and Kitchen…
Working on this one…
- Storage~ allow for narrow cupboards built into internal partition walls on the first floor.
We’ve got a utility area in the kitchen, cupboards in the dressing area and second bedroom. So we’re getting there – the partition wall idea isn’t such a good one, although hopefully we can install shelving on the landing.
You see, we are making some progress.