Building Progress August 2012

Shelving and lime mortar dominated August.

In the utility room, work continued installing shelving, using wood reclaimed from the animal stalls that once occupied the current kitchen. Using the same materials, I also built a wide high-level shelf in the kitchen that runs level with of the top of the kitchen cupboards and hides the slightly off centre vent pipe for the kitchen extractor fan and provides some more much needed storage.

I’ve also tidied up around the foot of the external walls, filling any small gaps that remained in the pointing or in the join between the wall and path. I also needed to rebuild the thick mortar foot of the whitewashed gable-end wall. The mortar footing hides the cable that runs from the satellite dish into the barn. The whitewashed gable-end really catches the weather and with two window sills dripping onto the footing it had crumbled over the last couple of years. So I rebuilt it using a stronger lime mortar mix – TWICE! The first attempt got washed away in places, despite being covered, by the soggy summer.

By MBCadm1n-000

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

No widgets found. Go to Widget page and add the widget in Offcanvas Sidebar Widget Area.