One of the cornerstones of energy efficient, healthy, sustainable building design, the PassivHaus standard aims to provide comfortable year round living conditions through minimal energy expenditure.
These aims are achieved through:
- An effective passive solar design that will provide the necessary heat gain (heating).
- To manage the heat gain:
- …very highly specified insulation,
- …near complete airtightness.
- Mechanical ventilation coupled with highly efficient heat recovery and ‘backup’ heating systems to manage the internal climate.
No additional heating systems are required.
The PassivHaus standard for buildings in Europe dictates that the building will consume no more energy than:
- Heating & Cooling: 15kWh per m2 floor area per annum.
- Total Primary Energy* Consumption: 120kWh per m2 floor area per annum for all appliances, domestic hot water and heating and cooling.
* Primary Energy is drawn from the national grid which is inherently inefficient, much energy being lost during distribution.